It’s basically a 1:28 scale RC car hacked with a servo for direction and an home-made arduino based board. In the front there can be seen 5 x CNY70 line sensors (IR reflection), shielded from light and crashes with foam. The rest of the car is described in the pdf below.
This has been the first competition robot we have made, and OK, I can say that I have learned a lot with it… Now I know that EVERYTHING can fail if you are sufficiently close to the challenge date. As any of my projects, the main reason to our partial failure was the lack of time (and planning). Apart from this, we had a very crude fight with some noise created by the DC motor, which interacted with the electronics of the servo. Eventually noise won, and we had to divide our power sources in two separate ones. Huge botch…
So, the competition day we met at 7:00 AM and tried to make some adjustments on the software, and we achieved speeds over 1m/s, what seemed a good value (although usually competition level line-followers reach up to 2.5m/s). But the funny part was this: We used to test the robot in a concrete, even surface; but the competition track was made from a soft foam, which was deformed by the weight of the robot, making the sensor array touch the ground and brake the entire car… Although this technical problem, we got the 12th position out of 40, and we spent a quite good time.
This is the document we attached to our inscription: